CALL FOR APPLICATIONS & NOMINATIONS FOR THE 2017-2018 WISCONSIN POET LAUREATE
DEADLINE: October 14, 2016
The Wisconsin Poet Laureate Commission, in partnership with the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters, seeks applications for the 2017-2018 Wisconsin Poet Laureate. Beginning August 15, 2016, applications are welcome from individual poets who are seeking the position. Applications may also be submitted by a person who is nominating a poet for the position of Poet Laureate. For either, a complete application package must be sent to the Wisconsin Poet Laureate Commission (email@example.com) as one email attachment no later than October 14, 2016.
Purpose of the Position
The Wisconsin Poet Laureate is the state’s leading poetic voice and an ambassador for poetry, encouraging the reading and writing of poetry across the state. The Poet Laureate engages a variety of Wisconsin constituencies, enriching the lives of residents by sharing and promoting poetry through conversation, readings, public appearances, workshops and digital and social media. We encourage the Poet Laureate to develop a special project, such as an event, publication, or program, which highlights poetry in a public way.
Term of Service
The Poet Laureate’s term of service is two years. The next term begins on January 1, 2017 and ends on December 31, 2018.
Expectations of the Position
The Poet Laureate is expected to:
· contribute to the growth of poetry throughout the state.
· plan and/or attend statewide literary events and educational programs.
· visit each region of the state at least once during the two-year term.
· promote poetry and the Poet Laureate position via electronic social media.
· participate in selecting the succeeding Poet Laureate and guide the transition into the role.
· prepare and provide a written report of activities every six months or upon request of the Poet Laureate Commission.
The Wisconsin Poet Laureate Commission embraces the diversity of human experience and identity. All applications are welcome, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, cultural heritage, socio-economic background, or physical ability.
Eligibility and Criteria for Applicants and Nominations
· The applicant should show evidence of achievement in the art of poetry, including substantial publications (books, literary magazines, and/or digital media).
· The applicant should have received significant recognition or awards.
· The applicant should demonstrate excellence in promoting awareness or enjoyment of poetry.
· The applicant must be at least 18 years of age.
· The applicant must have been a resident of Wisconsin for at least three years prior to the application deadline.
· The applicant must be able and available to reach statewide audiences through travel or other means.
The following items are required as part of the application:
A. A one-page cover letter that includes contact information for the applicant and the nominator, if applicable.
B. A work sample not to exceed six (6) pages, 8 ½ x 11, no less than a 12-point font, no more than one poem on each page. The work sample may contain information that indicates where the poem has been published or performed, or if it has received any awards for merit.
C. The applicant’s résumé or curriculum vitae not to exceed two (2) pages.
D. An explanation of what the applicant would hope to accomplish during the two years as Poet Laureate, including potential ideas for a Poet Laureate’s special project (up to two pages).
E. (Optional) Up to two (2) pages of supplementary materials, including excerpts from published book reviews, judges’ comments, or other critical writings that help contextualize the poet’s work for the commission. Note: recommendation letters are not appropriate and will not be considered.
F. (As needed) An application package submitted by a nominator must include a statement signed by the nominated poet indicating the poet’s awareness of the nomination, willingness to participate in the selection process, ability to fulfill the requirements of the Wisconsin Poet Laureate, if selected, and verification that the work sample submitted accurately represents the poet’s own work. The statement may be electronically signed as a .pdf or physically signed and scanned.
Completed application packets should be saved as a single .pdf file and submitted via e-mail to the Wisconsin Poet Laureate Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to be considered, application packets must be received by midnight on Friday, October 14, 2016.
The Commission reviews all submitted materials to arrive at three (3) finalists.
The three (3) finalists are interviewed in person by the Commission, which makes its final decision about selecting the new Poet Laureate based on the application packets and the interviews.
The Commission may acknowledge the other finalists as Commended Poets.
Recognition of the Poet Laureate
· The Poet Laureate will be awarded a $2,500 stipend per year, which honors the poet’s achievements and helps to defray expenses not reimbursed by individual organizations where the Poet Laureate is a guest. The Poet Laureate is encouraged to accept honoraria or remuneration from host organizations.
· The Poet Laureate Commission will work with the Poet Laureate and the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts & Letters to facilitate press coverage related to key activities.
· A limited edition broadside of the Poet Laureate’s work will be produced.
· In each year of the two-year appointment, the Poet Laureate will be awarded a one-week stay at Shake Rag Alley Center for Arts and Crafts in Mineral Point.
· The Poet Laureate will be featured in an issue of the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letter’s Wisconsin People & Ideas Magazine.
Timeline for Applications and Selection of the Poet Laureate
August 1: Announcement of Call for Applications
August 15: Application window opens
October 14: Deadline for applications to be received
November 5: Poet Laureate Commission meets to select three (3) finalists
November 19: Finalist Interviews. New Laureate is selected and notified.
Early January 2017: Poet Laureate Commission & Wisconsin Academy publicly announce new Poet Laureate
ABOUT THE POET LAUREATE COMMISSION
In May of 2011 the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters announced their stewardship of the Wisconsin Poet Laureate program, created by Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson in Executive Order 404 on July 31, 2000. The Wisconsin Poet Laureate Commission has as its purpose to conduct the Wisconsin Poet Laureate selection process, assign responsibilities to the selected Poet Laureate, and assist that individual in performing official duties.
Members of the Commission include representatives from the Wisconsin Center for the Book, the Wisconsin Fellowship of Poets, the Wisconsin Humanities Council, the Wisconsin Arts Board, and the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters, as well as several at-large members.
Thanks to the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters for their assistance in conducting this selection process.